Starting pre-k? make this inexpensive kids apron
just for those messy, but oh so fun art classes.
A great pre-k kids apron,just for
those messy art classes.Save
their clothes from paints and
crayons.These are simple and
inexpensive to make,so you
won't break the bank and most
of all you'll save your childrens
clothes.The pocket will hold their
crayons and pencils.
You will need:
* 1 18 inch x 21 inch fabric scrap,the
fabric stores have fat quarters and other precut quilters fabrics that
are this size.
* 36 inches of 1/2 inch cotton tape for
the waist ties
* Colorful thread for top stitching and
matching for everything else
1) Cut 2 one inch strips form the longest side of
your fabric. This will leave you with a 18 x 19 inch piece.
2) Fold fabric in half, wrong sides
together.Measuring FROM FOLD towards raw edges over 5 inches from top
edge and from the raw edge corner measure from top down 5 inches. Draw
a curved line to to connect the point of both easurements.
This is the armhole. Cut away this section.See diagram below
Measuring to cut necktie strips.Make sure you cut
this from the long end!
After armhole cut
3) Fold bottom of apron to the inside 1/2 inch, press
4) On the wrong side of apron,measure up from turned up bottom edge, 7
inches. Mark this on each side and in the center. Remember onthe wrong
5) Lay the apron flat with the right side up. Bring the bottom up and
fold it where you can now see the marks you previously made, fold on
Folded up 7 1/4 inches to begin
Folding back down on top of it's self,
creates the pocket
6) Bring edge back down until both bottom edges meet.You have just made
pocket.Make sure the bottoms meet nicely and press well.
7) Sew along the top edge of your pocket, but do not sew it to the
apron!.I used a decorative stitch on the top edge of my pocket.
8) When you are done with the top edge of the pocket, press and then do
the bottom edges, pin them first so they don't shift around. This you
do by going through both sections, not just the one like you did at the
top.As well sew in the very center of the one long pocket to create to
smaller pockets. Again I used decorative machine stitching in these
9) Turn each armhole section to the inside 1/4 inch, press and turn in
again to finish. Top stitch using a colorful thread.
10) Turn the top and side edge to the inside 1/2 inch and press, turn
again, press well.
11) Prepare your neck ties by turning the short ends of the strips
inward and each long edge to the middle to meet. Fold in half again and
press well. Sew close to the edge to create each neck tie.
12) Cut 2 18 inch ties form the cotton tape-these are for the waist ties
13) You previously folded your top edge down and pressed. You will sew
along the very top edge and again 1/2 inch down. When you do this hold
one of your neck ties in the very corner going up and with each pass
the neck tie will be secured twice on each corner.
14) To attach the waist ties you will hold the cotton tape in the
corners going outward. Run two rows of stitching, One close to the
outside edge and another 1/2 inch to the inside .
You Did It,yipee!